You are walking down a busy street, minding your own business and all of a sudden you bounce into an old friend. You smile and give them a hug/kiss/dap/knocks. *pause*
Now keep in mind that I am Caribbean by heritage and I don’t know if this next phenonmenon is special to Caribbean people or not but this has been my experience. Maybe it’s just another plesantry like “how are you” or “have you lost weight?” -_- what ever it is, it makes me roll my eyes so far behind my head I can see my brain.
Hey how you doing!! I was JUST thinking about you!! -_-
I’m assuming in 5% of the cases (and I’m being generous) that statement is actually true because there have been some times when weird things like that happen. But the other 95% of the time I think it’s bull. (whether it is true or not).
In the year 20KVN (pronounced two thousand and Kevin) I set my world domination plans into motion. It was a great year for my brand I must say and at the end of 20KVN I was well on my way to a comfortable life, a loving family and a fulfilling career. What happened, however, was that being so goal oriented kept me away from the other aspects of my life that I felt were important. One of which was my friendships.
I suddenly started to alienate myself from the people who were closest to me because it was not ‘convenient’ at the time and I always had something more important to do. I started to feel guilty and thought of my friends regularly but for some reason I never dropped them a line or a text message. I succeeded in gaining the world but lost myself.
Before the end of the year, with 2 cups of humility and a dash of embarrassment, I called each and every close friend and apologized to them for being such an
asshole . Not everyone is a high self monitor like myself and I thank God for that great ability. I told them that I found myself thinking about them all the time but never got around to finding out how they were or touching base, but this year would be different!
I say all this to say: Keep in contact with the people you conisider your real friends and don’t wait for astronomical odds to do so. A kind text or call to find out how they are doing is more than enough. It shows that you care! Put these meaningful relationships high on you priority list. And although you can’t save the world and be everything to everybody, you can be just enough for yourself!
20KVN has come to and end. Lets bring in 20FRN the right way!! (pronounced 2 thousand and friend :-)-)